Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Need For Speed The Run (Wii)

Hi guys! Pérez finally reporting to duty after "my vacations" XD. I got the special bundle of TLOZ: Skyward Sword and NFS The Run :D. I also bought a collectible tin starter kit for the Wii of TLOZ: Twilight Princess and a Classic Controller Pro.
I'm really excited because we are two weeks from the blog's first anniversary! :D I can't believe it been almost a year. I can still remember the day that our Computer teacher told us to get in pairs and decide what would be the theme of our blogs.
So returning to the post, I'm going to make a review of NFS The Run. I've decided to make like a structure for my videogame reviews, so I'm going to focus in the 5 aspects that I feel are the most important ones in videogames: Gameplay, Story, Sound, Graphics and Replay Value. For me, gameplay and replay value are the most important aspects, but the other 3 are also important. So here we go!


General Aspects
Developer: EA Black Box
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Release Date: November 18, 2011
Genre: Racing
Rating: E+10 (ESRB)

Story
Well, the story is about a driver that enters "by force" to a race called "The Run". The Run is a race from San Francisco to New York. You go to cities like Las Vegas and Denver. During the race, you get attacked by the police and some mobsters. I personally liked the story. It is a little better than the usual NFS-story. The story is told in a comic way (comic as in Superman or Iron Man), which I thought that it was a nice touch.
The career mode is made up of 5 acts that divide into 26 episodes. There is not a lot variation in the types of races, but that doesn't take away the fun. The most common race types are "Finish in 1st Place", "Destroy x-amount of enemies", "Finish the race under x-amount of time" and "Escape from the enemy OR Don't let the enemy escape".
A good thing is that you don't start like in other NFS where you start with a super car to then get a crappy one to start the game. In this game you start with a good car and then start using better and better cars. I liked that you don't get to choose your car, its color or even make its performance better. You only focus in the big race, not like in the other NFS where you get new parts and put them to your cars to improve it. You CAN change the color and aspect of the cars in the Challenges and Multiplayer, but not in the career mode.
In the Wii version, you can't get out of your car like in the PS3/Xbox360 version, which is something that I'm grateful of because I think that it would have been like playing a Grand Theft Auto.
Score: 7/10

Gameplay
When I bought The Run, I thought: "I hope that this game has a good gameplay because from what I've heard of the gameplay of other NFS-games in the Wii, they usually suck." Well, let me tell you that I haven't been disappointed by the gameplay. :D I played this game with the Classic Controller Pro. I felt that the cars responded good. Remember that each car responds differently. For example, there are cars that make the turns easy and fast, while others suck with that.
In general, the game has a good gameplay. I thought that it was interesting that they added stunts to the game called "Heroic (something)". The stunts during jumps reminded me of Mario Kart Wii, but the majority are in the ground where you must evade bullets, RPGs or avoid collisions by pressing the correct sequence of buttons that are shown in the screen.
I liked that the game has a damage bar for your car, so now you have to drive good, if not, your car will get destroyed. In each race you get 3 lives to complete the race. So don't waste them destroying your car very often ;)
Another good thing is the physics of the game. It's not the same thing to drive in a sunny weather than in a snowy wether nor a rainy weather.
One bad part of the gameplay that I had was when you destroyed other cars. When you do that, the camera changes so that you can see the car flying through the air. It's nice to see it, but while you see it, you can't control your car, so you run the risk of crashing and destroying your car. Another bad part that I found was that when your car is running under 150 km/h, the car "resets", The screen goes black for a blink of an eye and your car reappears running at 150 km/h. This is annoying for two reasons, one is that if that happens to you during the chase/escape races, you immediately get out of range and lose, the other reason is that your car may appear in front if another car or wall and crash -_-
Score: 8/10




Sound
By sound I mean music and sound effects.
In the sound effects part, I must say that this game has good sound effects. The cars sound amazing, the crashes incredible. NFS has always had great sound effects, and this game isn't the exception. I feel that the sound effect of the nitrous oxide is simply great.
In the music part, all I can say is that it is ok.
Score: 7/10


Graphics
Graphics... For some people the most important aspect of a game...
Well, the graphics for the Wii version are pretty decent. The scenery has like a cel-shaded touch. They are between realistic and cartoony graphics, but mostly realistic. You can see pretty well the effects for high-speed. The cars look pretty nice also.
A good thing about the game is that you can see pretty well the course and the cars. Some people say that the roads look horrible and that the cars practically jump in front of you, but I never had that problem. I could perfectly see the road and the cars.
Score: 7.5/10




Replay Value
Replay value is what IGN calls lasting appeal. It is the aspect that makes you want to continue playing a game after you have finished its career mode. The best way to have a a good replay value is by having a great multiplayer. Thankfully, NFS The Run has a local multiplayer mode of up to 4 players. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that this is the first time there is a NFS with a 4-player local multiplayer mode in a Nintendo console (I must say that this is my first NFS in my Wii, so I don't know if the other Wii NFS's had a multiplayer of up to 4 players...) The sad part, is that it doesn't have an online multiplayer mode.
Another aspect that raises the replay value are records, challenges and unlockables. This game has a set of challenges that raise the lifespan of the game (the career mode sadly is very short). There is a good amount of challenges. Also, you must make the challenges and/or replay the career mode to get all the cars and the parts to pimp your ride.
Score: 8/10


Final Score: 7.5/10 


I hope you liked the review and that you give the game a chance. See you later!
PÉREZ
All images belong to Electronic Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment